Friday, September 19, 2008

Black, White, and Cute All Over


First an update from two of my favorites places in the world. Safari West not only welcomed this adorable baby Giraffe this month, but introduced a Rhino pair named Fred and Ginger to the sanctuary. I can't wait to get back there, not only for all the animals, but for the most comfortable bed ever!

The news from my other favorite place the Monterey Bay Aquarium is not as good. The amazing Jellyfish exhibit closed last week. I still haven't had time to get the skinny on why, but it was one of my most favorite places in the world.


Flag Day closes this weekend and as I've mentioned audiences have been WAY small, but the talkbacks have been amazing. Really surprising, and moving, and educational in every way I had hoped. I had in interesting experience, with and interview done for a podcast in regards to a bit of table turning. You can listen to it for yourself, but I found myself irritated that I was referred to as the White Director, and my color was called out several times. Now as a discussion on race, sure, it's relevant to call this out I suppose, but it really irritated me that it felt used in a completey non-descriptive way. It felt like it was intentiallay used to single me out, or to put a negative spin or explain "bias." If I had said "my black actors are doing a great job. I think my black actors have really hit the nail on the head. I think that as a black actor etc etc etc" I would been attacked, but somehow the interviewer felt it was needed, or maybe that was a tactic. He also mentions that he thought I was intimidated by him. Now kids...honestly, does anything intimidate me? But he also spells my name wrong, so we take it all with a grain of salt. But it's an interesting interview on the fly regardless, and if you haven't already been to the show, it's certainly worth it for the discussion you will have afterwards.


Fly paper still exists in case you were wondering. I have this weird mini investation of little tiny fly/gnat things that are really annoying. Since I am against sprays in a big way, especially with cats about, I actually got fly paper. It's improving the situation, but i'd say its not all together eliminating the problem, and I do have to say I don't like gnat carcus strewn paper hanging about my kitchen, but you do what you gotta do. After 2 glasses of wine were spoilt with half a dozen little buggers diving in (lush!) I had to remedy the situation. I don't honestly know where they came from, though I did notice them pop up in really hot weather and after I received some orchids from Elaine for the Cat's Pajamas. Who knows. They REALLY like wine though...

Although it doesn't quite feel like autumn the pumpkin spice lattes are back and it's like a cup full of fall. So yumy. Bones are aching too, so the weather must be changing. It's beena hot and dry summer and I'm acutally looking forward to a clensing rain and a nip in the air. Cats are WAY snuggly too with each other and with me. That's a cute and furry thing. Speaking of which, Queenie has her ultrasound heart appointment on Tuesday so I'll have more on that. Apparently I have to drop her off so probably no video...but I'll ask anyway....

Jeep engine light went on again. Bummer. I'll take it in on Monday, which will get me up early and riding 6 miles on the bike which I look forward too. I've been racing around, not eating very well or often, and sleeping even worse, so some exercise and good old fashioned sweat will be nice. If only my ipod weren't busted. The Luxeries you get used to. Sigh.

The New facebook sucks. Bad move. Just as well though, big time suck on weekends instead of working. Speaking of which, I'll be going to my first work trip to the National Arts Marketing Conference in Houston in early November. Should be interesting. I heard a good speaker at a marketing workshop deal yesterday on You tube. Good stuff. I remember what an academic I am at heart. I love information, particuarly when explained well and presented by an engaging speaker. And when you don't get graded.

Designer runthrough tonight for what's going to be a great show, Over the River and Through the Woods! Opens in 3 weeks...

I've made friends for life in this cast of amazing, intelligent, lively people, as well as felt like I've gotten closer to a couple of friends that were already in my life. It's a good thing and I think it will show on stage. We eat a LOT during rehearsal too...everyone brings cookies, candy, and treats...it's a very maternal cast =]

Anyway....Hope the weekend treats you well! Be safe!

1 comment:

Tasi Alabastro said...

Snacks and foods at rehearsals for the win! Have fun at the conference. Who will take care of Lincoln and Paxton? ONOES!

The wine loving flys are great, hah.